Friday 24th July
My day started at 6:50am. I woke up and checked the mouse traps before I took a quick 10 minute shower. We had eggs on toast for breakfast at 8am and got ready to go to the tournament. When we arrived at the tournament ground we played games and sang with the children until we got started. I reffed the 1st and 5th game, then it was time for the semi-finals. My team won, and one of the children scored the winning try. At 2:30 the tournament ended and my team ended up coming third. Then we went back to camp and had a chill afternoon.
Written by Calin.
Saturday 25th July
We woke up at 7:30 for breakfast, I had baked beans on toast at Sizinda. We then travelled into Victoria Falls and crossed the border back in Zambia, where we saw one of the seven wonders of the world. We then drove to Fawlty Towers in Livingstone. That afternoon we went on a river cruise on the Zambezi where we cruised for 2 hours where we saw hippos and crocodiles swimming in the river and sitting on the banks. We saw a beautiful sunset whilst we ate chicken and salad. We had an amazing time and so far it was my highlight of the trip.
Written by Freddie.
Sunday 26th July
Today I woke up to a loud train following by the most delicious breakfast, AKA the Fawlty Fry up! We got our money ready to spend up from the bank of Mr Horrod and made our way to the market. I ended up spending 300 kwacha on amazing gifts for my family. After 45 minutes of bargaining we got back and finally went to the famous Shoprite! It was like heaven. I spend 110 kwacha on a bunch of yummy food, which was so worth it. In the afternoon we climbed down to the bottom of Victoria Falls and then back up. It was just as beautiful as I imagined. As we crossed the bridge I basically had a full shower from it! Sadly my camera died (ages ago...) so I didn't get any first hand pictures (sorry mum and dad!) however the camera would not do it justice anyway. We then drove back to camp and I am now just waiting for our delicious BBQ to be cooked, I am very excited as the pizza last night was legendary.
Written by Holly
Today we had a very eventful schedule ahead of us. We had to be up for our breakfast at 7:30 and we then had to get ready to head to the market for 10. We all had to get lanyards and receive exchanged currency so that we could go and buy things for ourselves, our family, our friends and any other important people in our lives. The market was a long bustling line of shops all decorated with a wide array of jewellery, carvings, clothing and souvenirs. Very much a sight to see! Some of the vendors were more than a little eager, but any of us who were too polite to barter were backed by our peers. Many of the wears were really beautiful, especially the wood and stone carvings. Which I personally got a couple of for my family members (Nadine, Henry and Alyssa), which I hope they will love.
After our trip to the market we returned to the hotel for lunch which we got free reign of today in terms of food choice, as we were each given 100 kwacha and allowed into Shoprite to choose. I got tomato pasta which was still warm, a yoghurt pot, a bar of chocolate and a bag of fruit chutney nik-naks, all of which were delicious. After our little lunch escapade we all had to quickly get ready to go and see one of the seven natural wonders of the world, Victoria Falls. We were all buzzing with excitement by this point and in the hurry I very nearly forgot my camera, though thankfully I remembered to grab it in time.
Once we arrived we first headed to the boiling pot, which was about a ten minute trek down to the bottom of the waterfall. On our way down we saw quite a few people huffing and puffing their way back to the top, all looking pretty sweaty, which set a bit of a standard in our heads of how our journey back would do. The walk itself was gorgeous, with dense foliage and a small flowing stream running beside us that set the stage for some lovely photos. Plenty of which are going in my artbook! The view at the bottom was also incredible, and not only could we see the bridge border between Zambia and Zimbabwe, and the bungee jumpers on it, but also the rushing water at the bottom named the boiling pot, after its resemblance to water at the top of a boiling pot.
Thankfully the trek back up was not as hard as the other people made it look, and we did it in about 15 minutes. Once we were back up, we started heading to different view points, all of which offered a various but beautiful perspective of the falls at different angles. We then started to make our way over to the headland, which is where things started to get wet. We crossed over the bridge, which I think was called knife point, to get to the headlands which was a tall and cut off pillar in the middle of the water channel. Crossing the bridge was an out of body experience, seeing the water pour on us whilst looking down at the Zambezi below. It was absolutely breath taking.
After we had been suitably soaked and had taken enough pictures to fill a flash drive between us, we made our way back to Fawlty Towers, where we spent about half an hour sorting the kit before dinner at 7:30, which was chicken, boerewors (a beef sausage), salad, a bread roll and potatoes, before we got to relax for the night.
Written by Ilana.
What wonderful accounts of your adventures kids…we’re loving reading the updates from you all, and enjoying it vicariously…although now feeling we need to get ourselves to Victoria Falls - it looks incredible!
ReplyDeleteAnd especially lovely to hear from you Ilana - we’re all missing you so much - Rio is sleeping on your bed at night, keeping it warm for you! We can’t wait to see you on Thursday but savour every last minute of the last few days. Big love from Mother Dearest, Papa, Sibling, Grandma and of course The Floof xxxxx