Finally managed to get internet access!!!

 









First day in Zimbabwe!

Today we woke up later than we have been at it was amazing! I woke up at 6:20 so that I could get in the showers before everyone else, but it was much better than the usual 5:30 breakfast. I then got ready for breakfast with the girls in my room, Layla, Kitty, Holly and Millie. Then we got called down for breakfast which was toast, scrambled egg, fruit and porridge. A nice change from cereal. I got porridge and flooded it with treacle syrup, it tasted amazing but still didn’t have enough sugar.

After that we headed out for our day. We were going to the old peoples home for our community projects and schools for coaching. On the way to the old peoples home Millie and I were doing Layla and Holly’s hair whilst singing songs on the bus. Once everyone arrived we got put into our new groups. My new group has Freya, Alice, Dylan, Kitty, Layla, Olivia and Ilana in it and our first duty was painting! We got very messy but it was so much fun. After we have finished painting we all got onto the bus and drove back to camp. When we arrived lunch was ready and it looked amazing. We had pasta with salad which was very yummy.

After lunch we went out to do coaching. All the kids were very cute and so good at rugby. We were the last group back to camp, so it meant that there wasn’t a long queue for the showers because I was still covered in paint from the morning.

Right before dinner we went to watch the sunset. It was very pretty. I also decided to catch up on journaling because I missed the past few days. The dinner bell then went and we had hot dogs! After we had eaten we sat around the fire pit and sang songs about donkeys. It was very funny. Then we headed off to bed. I can’t wait for the rest of the trip, I have had the best time so far and looking forward to meeting more of the school children. Miss you all lots.

Written by Sophia.

 

Today was our first full day at Sizinda camp in Zimbabwe. First off we had an amazing breakfast which was kindly made for us by the kitchen staff. We had scrambled eggs, toast, fruit and porridge which was a nice change. Then we split up into four groups and did our first round of community work. We had a range of different tasks which consisted of plastering, painting, brick laying and making bracelets out of recycled plastic. I was in group 3, so I did the brick laying, which looked really easy but once we started it was actually really difficult! I think everyone got the hang of it though once we were finished.

Then we came back to the camp at around 12:00 and had fresh pasta which was delicious. After we had finished we headed out to our afternoon coaching session. We stayed in our group from the community work earlier in the day and went for four different schools. My group taught grade 3 and 4’s which was quite challenging. The grade 3’s had never played tag rugby before so they didn’t even know you had to pass backwards. Despite the challenges the coaching session went well and I think the kids know the basics of tag rugby now.

When we got back from coaching we went and showered and the sat on the lookout point area in camp and I watched Victoria Falls from afar. We stayed there until dinner, we had hot dogs and roast potatoes. Once we had finished dinner we all headed down to the campfire and sang some songs. We were taught about the history of the old peoples home we had volunteered at earlier today. Overall it was a very exciting day and it was fun to meet so many new people.

Missing you all lots, I’m having the best time and Happy Birthday Rose! I hope you have had the most amazing day.

Written by Adeline.

 

Tuesday

Today I woke up at 7 and had avocado on toast, which was yummy!

We had community projects today and I did painting which was interesting as we got to learn about the history of the area whilst doing it. Then I came back and had spaghetti for lunch, then I did training and met a really nice girl called Charitie when we came back I read and then had dinner which was like a roast. Then we had a campfire and we learned a new song and played a game called witches, and I was chosen to be a witch. It was really fun!

Missing you Mum and Dad.

Written by Gracie.

Comments

  1. So lovely to have a blog from Sophia today. We all know how wonderful it is to read a blog written by our own kids, as to be away for so long, with no contact, is pretty hard for the parents! Although we know from previous experience that you will all be having the best time which has been evidenced by the photos and especially the videos tonight. These have been awesome.🤩🥰 Keep having the best time everyone and Sophia we miss you heaps and cannot wait to give you a massive hug when home. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many special memories made in Zimbabwe already! Great to see you all giving back to the local communities and now letting your hair down with drumming and dancing events (videos shared by Mr Horrod). Enjoy every last minute of this wonderful experience! We ALL miss and love you Millie and can’t wait to hear every single detail on your return! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  3. We’ve loved seeing the videos of you all having a fantastic time dancing and drumming this evening - it all looks so much fun. Seeing the pictures and reading about everything you are doing - painting, coaching the kids, mixing with the communities - are all wonderful. Keep on making the most of every minute - we miss you, but it looks awesome! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sponsored Run 2026

Saturday and Sunday